On being elected I was determined that funds collected from the local property tax (LPT) must be spent locally and not redirected back to national government. At council level, we have made allocations around the district with significant grants being made to Tidy Towns and residents association groups across the Naas district. The LPT monies are also being targeted at playgrounds in Kill, Sallins and Caragh, undergrounding of cables on Naas main street and support for the Naas-Sallins greenway. I have also brought forward various road projects for attention and tried to get a balance according to geography and where the need was greatest.
Road works are set to commence surrounding Sallins National School in the coming weeks after I had arranged for these needed repairs to take place.
The road works will focus on the speed bumps outside of the National School which will be repaired as well as road resurfacing and potholes being filled in. The badly needed works are set to take place in the next few weeks to coincide with the summer holidays to minimise the delays to parents and kids going to school.
The railway bridge on the Kerdiffstown Road is due for renewal works which are scheduled to take place over the course of the August Bank Holiday weekend. The works involve the existing bridge being removed on the Friday night and a new bridge being lifted in on the Saturday night. Unfortunately, these works will involve the closure of the road and detours will be put in place for all through traffic. The road closure application as below has been sent to Kildare County Council and is as follows:
- Iarnród Éireann wish to apply for a full road closure from 8pm on July 29th 2015 to 8pm on August 4th 2015 at Kerdiffstown Railway Bridge.
- This road closure is to facilitate the renewal of over bridge OBC37 on the Dublin/Cork Line north of Sallins Train Station.
- The existing deck is post-tensioned and weight restricted. The masonry approach walls have been struck by vehicular traffic on a number of occasions and the current parapet walls are of particular concern due to their low height and the metal railing arrangement.
- For the duration of the road closure all traffic for Sallins is diverted via the R407 and R445. The Sallins Road (Johnstown Garden Centre/Palmerstown House) from Junction 8 N7 Johnstown Interchange will be restricted to local access and Naas Golf Club.
- Church Avenue, Sallins will also be restricted to local access.
- Variable Message Signs will be in operation at Main Street Sallins and Johnstown Gardens Roundabout to notify road users of the closure.
- Diversion signs will also be in place as per the Traffic Management Plan