I attended the conference of the Irish Science Teachers Association in Maynooth approximately six months ago where I again heard a call for greater emphasis on STEM subjects, a greater input into STEM teaching and a greater number of STEM graduates to enter the system. Continue Reading →
I have called on the Minister for Education to secure approval for four extra classrooms in Straffan National School. The school currently has the demand for the places and having met with parents I understand just how urgently this additional space is needed. Continue Reading →
A few posts back, I outlined that a new school had been agreed for Naas and that work had recently commenced, at a Craddockstown location, opposite the nursing home on the Craddockstown road. A number of people had queries about this, so here are further details of the plan:
- The school being built at Craddockstown road is to primary school specification.
- The school will temporarily open as a Secondary School in September 2014.
- It will begin enrolment one year at a time ; only first years will start in 2014.
- A site for a secondary school at Millennium Park is being sourced in parallel.
- Millennium Park is intended as the long term home of the new secondary school.
- Once Millennium Park site is operational the secondary school will move there.
- The Craddockstown site will then begin functioning as a regular primary school.
- Campus will include turn-around and drop-off facilities for traffic management.
- A new footpath and pedestrian crossing will be added along the road outside.
This all makes a lot of sense as the new school buildings will carry on, once the secondary moves across to Millennium Park, a new primary will function at Craddockstown instead.
You can apply to enrol for September 2014 already. You can do this by:
- Downloading this form.
- By calling into the VEC offices at Floor 5, Áras Chill Dara, Devoy Park, Naas.
- By phoning (045) 988000 and requesting an application form.